Friday, November 22, 2013

Kings Basketball Card Collection as of 11.22.13


A new Youtube subscriber of mine asked to see my Kings card collection. Currently I'm just collecting autographed cards of the Kings. There are cards with embedded pieces of jersey and other wacky stuff, but my favorite cards are the ones that have the autographs on them. You might think that getting an autographed card is expensive, but it really isn't. You can find a lot of Kings autographs on eBay for under $10 (shipping included!). Just do a search. Type in a player you want to find and include 'auto' with your search. Autographed cards and items will show up. Here are some of my favorite cards in my Kings collection so far (that I didn't show in my other post on basketball cards):


How cool is this card!?!? It was a mash-up of the old Kings and (at the time) new. You've got a lot of things going on in this card. First of course are the two autographs, that's already sweet... but you also have the different Kings logos represented. I, personally, love the old school red, white and blue scheme. You don't know how much I would love to see the baby blue uni's back! Oh yea, notice this card is limited to just 33 in the world! This particular copy is #29.


I hope you know who Spud Webb is. If you don't... you're probably waaaay too young. I suggest looking up Youtube videos of this one. Spud Webb was mainly known for his time on the Atlanta Hawks. He was one of the shortest players in the NBA, but man could he dunk! It was amazing to see him flying through the air with his amazing vertical. He played in Sacramento for a little while. Topps released a card of him in Sacramento gear. It's rare to see this as most of his cards show him in Atlanta's red and gold.


Jimmer has not got a lot of playing time this year, but lately he has stepped up his game. I wonder if Coach Malone will give him more of a chance this to show what he's got this year. There are plenty of Sacramento fans that would love to see Jimmer play more (and an equal amount who wouldn't!). This particular card of Jimmer's is unique. It was a limited run only available through a special Panini promotion. No, not 'panini' the sandwich... but actually Panini the card manufacturer. This card is on extra thick cardboard stock, and I love that instead of a photo they used a black and white drawing. This card definitely stands out in my collection in terms of its looks.


The Kings got Carl Landry back after he went to the Warriors for a brief stint. He has not played a second on the court this year due to injury, and shouldn't be back until even after the All-Star break... which is a long time from now. The Kings would love to have Landry back in action as he is a very solid player. Some Kings players have been lacking passion and effort. Landry could have been one to provide some of that for the team. This autographed card of Landry's was from his first stint as a King. I really like the retro design of this card. It looks like a Donruss card from the early 80's.


I bet you didn't know they had WNBA cards too! Sacramento doesn't have a WNBA team anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't find cards with their players on them. When I found out the Kings were staying, I went searching for all things Sacramento-basketball related. Griffith was a big star for the Monarchs, and I'm very glad to have this card in my possession. Yolanda has a very nice looking autograph!

The Kings are currently on a road trip and won't be back until they fact the Clippers next Friday. I'm definitely missing basketball action right now, and can't wait for the next game. I'll be finding ways to keep Kings related content on this blog though! Keep checking in! If you want to learn more about basketball card collecting, please contact me. There are card shops in Sacramento worth checking out. You'd be surprised at what cards are like these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment