Friday, November 29, 2013

Kings v. Clippers 11.29.13

Today the first 10,000 fans who came to the arena got a free scarf!!! It's actually a very nice item, and I'd be happy to wear this around. The scarf is double sided - one side is black while the other is purple. If you want you can go all black, all purple, or mix and match colors when you wear it. My guess is that this scarf would sell for $15-25 at the Kings store. But... you can't get it there, it was a special edition just for this game. I really like it, thanks Kings!

Here's me sporting my new Kings scarf! I gotta say I look pretty good. Also notice I'm wearing long sleeves today. It's getting pretty chilly outside. Well, good thing I got that scarf! I'm always temped to bring my jacket into the arena with me, but I just feel it's too bulky of an item. The less stuff I can have at the game the better.

Today I got to go to the game with my friend Dave. He split the seat next to me with two other guys (another Dave and my friend Arnold). This was his first time out in our season ticket seats. He picked a good night to come out, as we got free swag today! Dave is from Cleveland... and has strong ties to the sports teams there. He seems to be getting on the Kings bandwagon though, which is awesome!

I saw Grant Napear and Pete D'alessandro chatting it up on the Kings bench before the game. For those of you not in the know, Grant is the voice of the Kings on television. He also has his own radio show on KHTK 1140. On occasion he even subs for Jim Rome when he's out. I love listening to Grant. He has a very strong personality, and can sometimes get into heated discussions with his callers. Pete D'alessandro is the Kings' general manager. So yea... a pretty big guy in the organization.

The pre-game show was filmed outside of my section again so I got to see both Scotts and Jenn Santich doing their thing! They had a doctor from Kaiser as a guess on the show today. You actually see him at the beginning of each Kings' game when they announce the nightly scratches. Before this, I was able to talk to Scott Moak a little. I was really surprised that he recognized me from the photos I put on Instagram!

Tonight we played the Clippers. It seems like we have played the Clippers way too many times already this season. The game when I got to sit in Kings row was against the Clippers, and the team played the Clippers a few days ago in LA. That game was very close, and the Kings lost by just one point. These two teams seem to have a little rivalry going. The Kings always seem to take the Clips to the bitter end and have a hard fought, close game. Tonight was no different!

Before the game started today Ben McLemore came out to greet the fans with a little 'happy Thanksgiving' message. I appreciated this gesture on his and the Kings part. It must be a little awkward for the players to come out and speak like this, but as a fan, it's great. They should do this more often! I'm pretty sure when McLemore got back to the team some of the guys gave him a hard time. Haha... it's all part of the fun!

Here's a nice moment I caught during warm-ups. We see DeMarcus and Hamady N'Diaye sharing a light moment on the court. You really don't get to see DeMarcus laugh and smile too much when the games going on or in interviews, but it's nice to know it's there. Sometimes we as fans pigeonhole players and think of them in only one-dimension, but basketball players are just regular people with a whole lotta athletic skill. It's easy to forget how young and in the spotlight these guys are... and how much pressure they are under to perform and be a certain way.

Tonight's halftime entertainment was definitely unique. I forget the name of the group that performed, but they were very good. They specialized in modern dance that featured some sweet dub step type moves. I was very surprised to see them out there, as this is not the usual entertainment provided to us fans.

Sleeptrain Arena was packed tonight! The fans definitely came out and were loud! I'm really glad the game was close all the way to the end. The fans had plenty to cheer about as there were many sweet dunks to be seen. The newest King, Derrick Williams (no. 13), put on quite a show. Many fans were unsure about him, but he showed that he will be a great player for Sacramento going forward.

The game was so close that the Kings took it to overtime. The team started off very well by scoring first and building a small lead. Unfortunately, the Clippers ended by getting ten unanswered points from then on and won the game. Though we lost, the game was still well contested. I'm not expecting the Kings to have a great record this year. I can definitely appreciate a game like tonight. Good effort and strong performances made this game 'ok' even though the Kings lost. The next game will be on Sunday versus the Golden State Warriors. That should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment