Saturday, January 25, 2014

Kings v. Pacers 1.24.14

It feels like a long time since the last King's home game, and it really has been. The Kings' schedule this year has been a bit unbalanced. They had many home games scheduled in the first half of the season, which was great, but now will have many more games on the road. Taking a glance at the remaining games, there are quite a few stretches where there will be some significant periods of time between home games. For this game, I did not sit in my usual season ticket holder spot. A couple of my friends had stake in them, so I went ahead and purchased my own separate ticket. It was a little pricey, but the view was much better!

The seat I got was still in section 122, but rather than being near the top of that section, I was near the bottom in row D. Wow, what a difference sitting in the other part of the alphabet makes! My seat happened to be right across from one of the television cameramen. Since I've been getting a lot o more into photography, looking at his camera was fascinating. I started to wonder how much one of those professional television cameras cost. It's got to be a crazy insane amount of money.

I had a lot of errands to do before the game so I didn't eat beforehand. Since I bought my own ticket, I chose not to bring my Cap City Kingdom season passes for fear that I would lose them. Well, I forgot that even though I bought a separate ticket, I could have stilled used the season tickets to scan for points. See, whenever a season ticket holder purchases anything at a Kings game they can scan a special part of the season ticket pass for points. These points can be redeemed for anything ranging from Kings merchandise, to extra game tickets, to special Kings experiences. It's actually a really cool program that I think a lot of season ticket holders like myself enjoy and take advantage of.

I ended up getting fries and a Pepsi. I'm not sure what's better between the fries, the pizza, and the pretzel. They're all pretty good game time snacks. I think these fries bring back a sense of nostalgia for me as when I was a kid, a local fast food place that I loved served their large sized fries in a cup just like this one. In case you're wondering, that place was called Burger Country and it was located near my house back in Portland, Oregon. Anybody ever been there? We would have a serious connection if any of my readers have ever been there. I mean SERIOUS.

I spied Kings general manager Pete D'Allessandro before the game again chatting it up. He's probably talking about some pretty important stuff here... or not! I don't know. I always try to keep an eye out for the Kings brass whenever I can. Obviously as general manager, he would have be be at the games all the time to see how the team is doing. I didn't see Vivek at this game, but Chris Mullin made another appearance tonight at sitting at center court. Man, I'd love to meet Chris Mullin! I went to high school in San Francisco during the time he played for the Warriors. He was definitely one of my favorite players back then.

Sitting closer up means better shots of the anthem. Being closer up means I can actually see the players a bit more as they stand during the Star-Spangled Banner. Tonight's anthem was performed by a local marching band. I did end up getting some photos of them, but in this case I think being a bit higher up in the arena would have been better as it was difficult to get a good group shot of them. Also, being lower means more people in the way of good photographic shots. There are a lot of people on the court at this time.

Tonight it was the Kings v. the Pacers. The Pacers are the best team in the league, and the Kings were without DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay due to injury. It was not looking like a very good game for our team. To be honest, I was thinking this game was going to be a total blowout. The Kings had to start Aaron Gray at center tonight. Don't get me wrong, I really like Aaron Gray, but he is not the ideal person you want as your starting center. It must have been exciting for him though!

I typically don't get shots of the refs during the game, but I liked this one. Just check out the SKD doing their thing in the background, and the refs don't even pay it any mind! I guess that's their job! No distractions, right? Hah, I'm not sure I'd have their resolve. But anyways, the refs tonight made some questionable calls in my opinion. There was an especially big call with seconds left in regulation that could have been one that cost us this game.

Google Glass. This game night was all about it. I saw many of the Kings employees wearing the Google Glass sets, and this new technology was featured in many aspects of the game. At times, fans were treated to a Google Glass view on the large jumbotron. It's pretty awesome that Vivek and the Kings are embracing so many new technological aspects. We are definitely a team on the cutting edge! I'm proud of that as a Kings fan. My own personal idea for Google is to make a Google Helmet. Then we can all look like Boba Fett or the Clone Troopers from Star Wars. Wouldn't that be cool? Google Helmet everybody! You heard it here first!

I really wanted to end with a photo of Marcus Thornton. His contribution in the games previous to this one was almost zilch. Well, he really broke out tonight by scoring over 40 points. He was incredible (along with Isaiah Thomas too). He was getting a lot of cheers from fans tonight. It was amazing to see what he did. Tonight the Kings lost to the Pacers, but they fought very hard. In truth, I think the Kings should have had this game... but I won't sweat over it. It was a great and gutsy performance that showed the team can play with anyone. Next up will be Sunday against the Nuggets. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment