Sunday, January 26, 2014

Kings v. Nuggets1.26.14

Tonight I stepped into the arena and saw Scott Fresh outside our section about to do a little feature for the pre-game show. My wife actually saw him at the Costco gas station in Woodland yesterday! He was on his way to a wedding. It was nice of Scott to say hi to her when he saw her. Scott always does an awesome job hosting the Kings games. I don't think they'd be the same without him.

I went to this game with my friend Dave. He'll be at the next one too. We sit in section 122 underneath this Jason Thompson banner. At first I thought these banners were just big posters to promote the players, but I found out from Katie Peterson that these banners represent sections that Kings players have donated season tickets to people in. Wow. Suddenly these banners have much more significance.

Looking around the arena you can see player banners all around. How impressive is it that all these players have chosen to donate tickets. I know I'm certainly impressed by the gesture. I'm sure that the Kings Community aspect of the Kings Organization had a lot to do with this effort. Gotta give props to them for that!

Check it out! There was an actual king at the game today! You can tell how royal he is by the amazing golden crown he is sporting. Hah, this guy has the guts to dress this way to a game. That's really cool. I love seeing fans who go all out to support the team by way of their dress. When I attend San Jose Sharks games, the arena is filled with teal jerseys. There aren't as many jersey-clad fans at Sleep Train Arena, but San Jose is a much more affluent area, so I understand how that is. But I do see a lot of purple pride every game night. I'm going to have to pay more attention to the creativity of our fans.

I noticed this pile of stuff left on the floor by the Denver Nuggets during warm-ups. Way to make a mess Denver! I can assure you that our side of the court was nice and clean and free of any clutter. I also want to mention that Carl Landry is in this picture too! He has just recently come back from a long injury. I don't think he's 100% game-ready yet as he has shown some rust, but I'm hopefully he'll get his NBA-legs back ASAP!

It's tip-off time! For the second game in a row Aaron Gray is starting at center. DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay are still out for the Kings. The good news is that before the game I saw the big Cuz on the court shooting around working on his shot. He wasn't limping or wearing any sort of brace. I hope he returns soon! The Kings played Indiana really well last game - let's bring that same intensity here!

Today's food of choice for me was a slice of pizza. Sleep Train serves pizza from Pizza Guys. I do really like the pizza there, but I have to admit that it is a bit pricey for just a slice of pizza. Dave was more adventurous than I. He got the chili cheese fries with onions. This big heap of fries was about the same price of my pizza slice, but looked a lot more filling.

Marcus Thornton had a huge game on Friday. While he didn't score the monster amount of points he did that day, he looked better than the player that he has been this season. Without Cuz and Rudy in the line-up, players like Thornton need to take on bigger roles. Maybe this is the opportunity to get going? He needs to take it!

The Kings held the game close for just about the entire time. There was a bit of a back and forth in terms of score. The fans did their part to cheer on the team and will them to a victory. These kids were in front of my a couple of rows down. They were decked out in Kings gear and cheering loud for the home team. It was great to see.

Isaiah Thomas and Ben McLemore had strong games tonight, but ultimately the Kings fell a bit short against the Nuggets. With two of their big guns out, I'm OK with this loss. The Kings were not embarrassed on the court and they had a legitimate chance at winning this game. The Kings go on the road for just one game before returning to Sleep Train for a game against Memphis this Wednesday. I'll be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment