Tuesday, April 15, 2014

SKD - 4 minutes, 4 hours.


Dedication. Hard work. Perseverance. Energy. Encouragement. Humility. Will. Power. Detail. Betterment.

These are words I would use to describe the Sacramento Kings Dancers.

Tonight I had the unique opportunity to sit in on an SKD practice. Man... I didn't know what I was in for.

Four hours of work was what I witnessed today. For what? For a few minutes of on the court perfection.

I wish other fans had the opportunity to see just what these dedicated women put in to the routines that they do at each and every Kings home game. See... I think most people realize that being an NBA dancer would take some work. But to really spend the time and see just how much work goes into one practice session is mind blowing. These girls put in serious work.

The Kings Dancers work hard and they work fast. The pace at which the practice went was staggering. As the dancers went through their routine, mistakes were pointed out... and fixed. Dancers had to re-do and adjust their moves. And they had to re-do and adjust them again... until everyone got it right. Attention to detail - no imperfection was missed. Jenn Santich has eyes like a hawk - and Kat and Brittany too.

They demanded perfection, and that was what was expected. I saw dancers that fought through their mistakes - sometimes over and over again. And no, they were not discouraged. I saw resolve... and they got it done. Sometimes with the help and patience of a fellow dancer. Teamwork? Check.

I wasn't sure that I was going to stay for the full four hour practice, but I did, and I'm glad I did. I felt like I was witness to something only a few people get to see for themselves. The Sacramento Kings Dancers are an amazing group of individuals...

and an outstanding team.

Thank you Jenn, Semaj, Angela, Mary, Chanel, Nelley, Moira, Tammier, Isela, Katerina, Brittney, Lynsi, Andrea, Megan, Roxy, Dany, Corina, and Charlie for welcoming me to your practice tonight... and Derrick (for hanging out with me!).

I'll leave you with some photos I took during practice.
















No comments:

Post a Comment