Saturday, December 14, 2013

Kings Winter Wonderland Event at Downtown Plaza 12.14.13

Today the Kings put on a Winter Wonderland event at Sacramento's Downtown Plaza. Downtown Plaza is an outdoor mall that occupies the space where the new Kings arena is planning on being built. I have fond memories of going shopping at Downtown Plaza when I was in college. Today the Kings took it over by filling it up with all sort of fun activities to do. There were bounce houses, craft making stations, and much more.

Kings signage was all over the place. I particularly noticed this banner though. If you look closely you'll see a photo me, my wife, and two of my good friends! I got a kick out of seeing that hanging up above all the activities. 

It was a chilly day, but it was gorgeous outside - a great Sacramento winter feeling. The Kings van was parked outside accepting toy and monetary donations. People who donated would get a wristband for a photo-op with one of the new Kings players. The elf near the back of the van has been running all over Sleeptrain Arena during recent home games. It was funny to see him out here today.

Horse-backed police officers were keeping an eye on things outside the mall area. I had almost forgotten that Sacramento does employ horses in their downtown police force. They were cool to see, especially for the kids. Kids would come up and pet the horses.

Snow sighting! Yup, even in Sacramento we have snow. Well, at least the kind that is specially brought in for events. I'm sure a lot of kids in Sacramento have never seen this cold powdery and wet substance. A lot of little ones had fun making snowballs and playing around the snow covered area.

Aaron Gray was one of the three players Sacramento got from Toronto this past week. He came to take photos with the fans. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a personal photo with him... but I did end up getting this paparazzi-type shot of him! Aaron walked past me as he was leaving - he is really, really tall.

Quincy Acy was the other player to come for photos. The biggest name of the three players we got, Rudy Gay, was not in attendance. Quincy was really nice about taking photos and saying hi. 

Here's the photo that I got with Quincy. It was pretty cool that the Kings had them printed out quickly and given out for free. What a great keepsake! I'm sure that everyone who had the opportunity to take a photo and go home with a picture was happy. I hope I'll get to meet Quincy in the near future and have him sign this photo of us.

The SKD were also available for photos. I got three photos with them! They were super nice and recognized me for the photos I always take. We got a chance to talk, and they even signed a couple of the photos we took today. Thanks SKD!

No comments:

Post a Comment