Monday, December 9, 2013

Kings v. Mavs 12.9.13

Today was a pretty big day for the Kings as they pulled off a huge trade. Gone are Vasquez, Salmons, Hayes, and Patterson - they all went to Toronto. The Kings received Quincy Acy, Aaron Gray, and Rudy Gay. Wow. Huge move by the Kings front office. The new players arrived in Sacramento today, but they didn't dress for the game. This move definitely made waves around the city though, I listened to sports radio today and fans were abuzz talking about the trade.

Now that Vasquez is gone, Isaiah Thomas gets the starting role. He had been amazing coming off the bench to spark the team, but with the numbers that he has had this season, he was definitely worthy of getting the starting job. Too bad for Vasquez though, he seemed to genuinely want to be in Sacramento. And we just got him too! I'm also a bit sad to see Vasquez go because he just started following me on Instagram... the first Kings player to do so.

The Mavs came to town with a decent record. They are a team that definitely has some strong players, with the strongest being Dirk Nowitzki. With the Kings undermanned tonight, it could have been really bad for the home team. Well, it wasn't. The Kings played amazing tonight!

Jimmer came in to play some point guard. He struggled when he got into the game. I can't blame him for that as this was his first time back in a game in a while. I think he just needs to get more minutes to acclimate himself to NBA speed once again. 

DeMarcus Cousins had a very strong game tonight. He scored over 30 and was dominating on offense. There were a few errors, but nothing that cost the team big. One of my favorite moments in the game was at the end during garbage time. DeMarcus was standing and cheering for his fellow teammates. That's the kind of stuff we as Kings fans want to see from the big guy.

Derrick Williams had his biggest game as a King tonight... and perhaps of his entire career. He scored 30 in an impressive showing of athleticism. He was all over the court shooting threes and pulling off highlight reel dunks. I hope this is the kind of stuff we get to see from him in conjunction with Rudy Gay in the very near future.

Ray McCallum made it into the game at the end. I met Ray a little while back when he did a signing in El Dorado Hills. He's a really nice guy. I could tell that Ray must have been a little apprehensive tonight, but he did get his first points of his NBA career. Here's the shot that he took to get those two points. Welcome to the league!

Thunder swords rained from the skies tonight. Free throw distraction tools haven't been used much at Kings games this season. They are a fun part of the game that I would to see at every Kings game. Arnold went with me to the game tonight, and I know he wanted to get one. Our section is just outside the area where they came down. Too bad!

There was a lot of cheering going on at Sleeptrain tonight. The Kings blew out the Mavs in spectacular fashion. With all the recent close losses to good teams, getting a decisive win gives a little hope and happiness to a very patient fan base. Well, I can say I'm patient... not sure about others.

Here are our three new Kings! They watched the game from a suite tonight. Near the end of the game they all came down to the court. People were cheering and chanting for them. I heard that people were saying "Rudy, Rudy!" They should be available to play on Wednesday versus the Jazz. I'm very excited for that game.

Tonight I decided to snack on a pretzel during the game. I've been buying less and less food at the arena as of late... but I was hungry during the game so I went to the concourse looking for the perfect thing to get. As you can see, my pretzel had an uneven distribution of salt. Still good though. See you on Wednesday Sleeptrain!

No comments:

Post a Comment